Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Reflection on Adulthood via Jawbreaker's "Dear You" LP

I had the urge to bust out Jawbreaker's "Dear You" this evening, which I haven't listened to in years. Damn good record. As I was listening to the emotional rollercoaster that is the song "I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both" (now how's THAT for a song title?), I thought to myself "this is great, but it really sounds a little...shall we say...adolescent". Then I thought, "gee, when did this record come out, anyway?" 1995. 14 freaking years ago! That was a bit of a shock in and of itself. Then I thought "well, how old was Blake Schwarzenbach when Dear You came out, anyway?" I did a little looking - he was born in '67, which would make him 28. College years still in fairly recent memory, numerous failed relationships, house parties, and broken friendships passed.
"So", you're thinking, "what's yer point"? Well, here's the thing. I'm 33. I'm married. I have a kid, 2 years old. When I listen to Dear You, it brings back memories, sure, but God, I feel like I'm a WORLD away from the mindset of the guy who wrote those songs. Not like I wrote them, but in my 20s, I was able to identify with Blake's words. In fact, a lot of them cut very close to home. Now, not so much. Not so much at all. Still, I can't help but get a kick out of tunes like "Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault".
I hadn't heard much about Mr. Schwarzenbach recently. His last band, Jets to Brazil, broke up in '03, who knows what he's been up to for the last 5 years. He does have a new band together called Thorns of Life (great name!), and at the ripe old age of 42, he's still bashing out punk rock. However, I kind of doubt that he's writing lines like "I don't think I hate you enough to commit you to me" anymore.

Did you notice how I casually avoided any mention of the fact that I haven't written a blog post in OVER 2 WEEKS? So...uhh...sorry. I'll do better next time. I promise. Lots of posts about furniture to follow.

No comments: